Currently I work for the University of Newcastle where I’m running the Bioinformatics Support Unit for the University. My interests there are primarily microarray support, infrastructure development and deployment and Grid computing. We are attempting the UK’s largest roll-out of the Condor system.
Previously I worked for the NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Data Centre which is a data analysis, warehouse, and technical advice centre for data management for the Natural Environmental Research Council‘s Environmental Genomics programme.
I’m a molecular biologist by training and have a degree in Genetics from Manchester University.
I received my PhD in 2000 from Imperial College in developmental neurobiology. Since then I have postdocced in Edinburgh at the Institute of Stem Cell Research before settling on a 2 year bioinformatics post at the Bart’s and the London Genome Centre. I then spent 2 years as Bio-Linux developer and bioinformatician at CEH Oxford. CEH is the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.
- Allotey RA, Mohan V, McDermott MF, Deepa R, Premalatha G, Hassan Z, Cassell PG, North BV, Vaxillaire M, Mein CA, Swan DC, O’Grady E, Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C, Sinnot PJ, Hemmatpour SK, Froguel P, Hitman GA.
The EIF2AK3 gene region and type I diabetes in subjects from South India
Genes Immun. 2004 Dec;5(8):648-52.
- Aganna E, Martinon F, Hawkins PN, Ross JB, Swan DC, Booth DR, Lachmann HJ, Bybee A, Gaudet R, Woo P, Feighery C, Cotter FE, Thome M, Hitman GA, Tschopp J, McDermott MF.
Association of mutations in the NALP3/CIAS1/PYPAF1 gene with a broad phenotype including recurrent fever, cold sensitivity, sensorineural deafness, and AA amyloidosis.
Arthritis Rheum. 2002 Sep;46(9):2445-52. Erratum in: Arthritis Rheum 2002 Dec;46(12):3398.
- Korbonits M, Gueorguiev M, O’Grady E, Lecoeur C, Swan DC, Mein CA, Weill J, Grossman AB, Froguel P.
A variation in the ghrelin gene increases weight and decreases insulin secretion in tall, obese children.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Aug;87(8):4005-8.
- Merry CL, Bullock SL, Swan DC, Backen AC, Lyon M, Beddington RS, Wilson VA, Gallagher JT.
The molecular phenotype of heparan sulfate in the Hs2st-/- mutant mouse.
J Biol Chem. 2001 Sep 21;276(38):35429-34. Epub 2001 Jul 16.
- Episkopou V, Arkell R, Timmons PM, Walsh JJ, Andrew RL, Swan D.
Induction of the mammalian node requires Arkadia function in the extraembryonic lineages.
Nature. 2001 Apr 12;410(6830):825-30.